Sample topics for the spontaneous writing task (WT2)
||Sample Writing Tasks
|Narrative – Story telling
- Write a story ending / beginning with the words “It was anight I will never forget”.
- Write a story highlighting the importance of family.
|Letter / E-mail *
[Informal – (semi-)formal]
Letter / email of advice
Letter/email giving information
Letter/email suggesting solutions
Letter/ email of complaint
Application letter/ email
- Write a letter to your cousin about your upcoming summer holidays. Describe your plans and invite him/her to join you.
- Write an e-mail to your friend, Ethan, to tell him about your new pet. Explain how your life changed for the better and suggest that he adopts one too.
- Your friend, Paul, works long hours and has no time for exercise. Write a letter to Paul giving him advice on how to stay fit and healthy.
- You have lunch at the college cafeteria every day but you think it needs some adjustments. Write a letter to the Dean, suggesting ways that it could be improved.
- You have just arrived home from holidays, but your suitcase was lost at the airport and your flight was over 3 hours late. Write a letter to the manager of the airline company expressing your complaints.
- Write a letter to your English teacher to inform him/her of your decision to work abroad. Explain the reasons for your decision and ask for your teacher’s advice.
- You have seen an advertisement about a job opening inyour local bar-restaurant. Write a letter to the owner,applying for the position. Explain why you consider yourselfsuitable for the job.
Working from home sounds ideal for some people, while
others disagree. Write an essay outlining the advantages
and disadvantages of working from home.
Write an essay explaining why people in big cities should
use public transport instead of their cars.
‘Parents are the best teachers for their children’. Do you
agree with this statement? Write an essay giving your
The problem of bullying at schools is on the increase. Write
an essay outlining the causes and the effects of the problem
and suggesting solutions.
- Write an article for a sports magazine encouraging young people to participate in team sports.
- Write an article for a psychology website explaining why you think people have more stress nowadays.
- Write an article for your school magazine entitled “Playing video games can be beneficial for children”.
* The letter/email task typology is indicative and certainly not exclusive as there may be many different combinations of functions in a given email/letter task topic which would have been impossible to include in the above list. For example, to inform and ask advice or to describe and recommend, etc.
** The essay typology contains the most common types of essays used in the TIE examinations and an example is given for each type of essay.
*** The article task typology is indicative and certainly not exclusive as there may be many different combinations of functions in a given article task topic which would have been impossible to include in the above list. However, the three examples follow the task instructions wording as given in the TIE written exams.
Sample topics for the prepared writing task (WT1)
- Write an email to your friend, Mark, about the news story you read. In your email: a) include abrief summary of the news story (no longer than 50 words) and b) explain how the news storymade you feel.
- Your teacher has asked you to write an essay about the news story you read. Explain whetherthis is a news story that will be remembered next month or not. Give at least two reasons tosupport your opinion. Ensure you include a summary of your news story which is no longerthan 50 words.
- Write an email to your best friend who is looking for a new book to read in his/her free time. Inyour email: a) include a brief summary of the book (no longer than 50 words) and b) explainwhy your friend would enjoy reading it.
- Which of the characters of your book would you most like to be? Write an essay giving youropinion. Ensure you include a brief summary of the book which is no longer than 50 words.
Για να κατεβάσετε τα sample topics σε αρχείο εκτύπωσης, πατήστε εδώ.